Living in a tiny apartment with her husband, daughter and hefty cat, Gemma Patford is constantly looking for creative ways to rope people into making fun craft projects. With an impressive Instagram following, Gemma started the hashtag #ropedinbygemma as a way of convincing people to get crafting. With a background in pattern making, garment construction, fashion, textile art and styling, Gemma Patford is an accomplished maker and more recently, author!
George Takes Twelve
We sat down with the lovely lady herself to discuss juggling her many talents, why she loves her kitchen floorboards so much and what she’s busy cooking up next.
1. When I was growing up, I wanted to be…
I wanted to be a sign writer, but my dad talked me out of it. Even at the age of 10, I’d been warned it was all done on computers. What a shame. I think I would have been a great sign writer. I still dream of leaping into a sign writing apprenticeship but you know, mortgage. Who knows. Life is funny that way, you never know…
2. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and what you do for a living?
I am a maker, painter, sewer, crafter, author, mother, cat lover. For a living, I am a gun for hire, I collaborate with other creative business to deliver craft based design ideas, workshops and I make, sell and wholesale my treasures to shops all over the world.
3. Who or what do you look to for inspiration?
I find inspiration everywhere, my iPhone is absolutely full (I mean I can’t take any more screenshots or photos from Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest. I get most of my inspiration from simply going on a walk. A thought will pop in and I will think about it and the next thing I know I’ve planned out an entire new collaboration idea, range or new item!
4. What words of wisdom do you have for a go getter who wants to follow in your footsteps?
Be kind to yourself. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. This is especially important with the old cashola! Don’t quit your main money making job in one go. Grow your passion organically then one day BAM, your passion is your main job.
5. What’s the most treasured belonging in your own home?
Hmmm, that’s a hard one. Mostly everything in our home is from the op shop or tip! It would have to be our art collection. It has been carefully curated and when we have some spare cash we like to try and invest in a new special art piece. In all honesty, I don’t think I have a fav belonging. I have a favorite spot. The spot on the kitchen floor where Duncan asked me to marry him. If we moved, I would like to rip up the floor where he asked me to marry him and take those floorboards with me.
6. What’s one thing other people may not know about you?
I can’t spell my daughter’s middle name ever! Dusty Priscilla Patford Legge. Priscilla – I always gotta Google it.
7. What’s next for you? Are there any exciting projects in the pipeline you can share with us?
So many, I am working on some fun collaborations with the Royal Melbourne Show. I am doing a little tour of New Zealand in Nov, working with Spotlight on some fun things. It’s all cooking along. I am also working on some beautiful rope totes for summer and some special rope clocks. So many things on the stove.
8. If you could invite any five celebrities to dinner who would be on the guest list?
- Jeff Goldblum – He could play jazz piano and sing for us
- Oprah, and I would put an expensive gift under her chair
- Martha Stewart and Snoop Lion (Dog?) I’m really enjoying their friendship and think they would be cute
- Annnnnd finally Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) and we could talk about his Presidential campaign and he would just be generally nice
9. Paperback or hardcover?
10. If you could have the pick of anyone in the world to write your biography, who’s scribing?
Sinead Stubbins! Have you read her blow by blow recounts of Game of Thrones? HILARIOUS! Here, let me enlighten you.
11. Are you reading good ol’ fashion print on paper or digital volumes these days?
I am reading Brodie Lancasters No Way OK Fine! It’s wonderful and I’m nodding and saying audible “YES’s” as I read each page! Much recommend!
12. If you could be a fly on the wall at any moment in history, what would it be?
Oh gosh, hmmm I am not sure. Any moment in history, like ANY? OK, I chose the Roswell crash. I would like to uncover some truths there. Or perhaps a Bermuda triangle disappearance. I can’t handle unsolved mysteries. I want to know all the mysteries, please!
Why We Love Her
Gemma is an all-round craft genius. If you’ve ever seen her famous ropework, you’ll know exactly why she deserves such a title. We were chuffed to stock Gemma’s new book Roped In at Hunting for George, helping dress up the every day with her crafty projects made from rope (and other awesome things).
Are you up for a challenge? Let Gemma rope you in to create a range of fun, accessible DIY projects from her new book. Looking for a macramé plant hanger to spruce up your living room? Want to create a swanky dog lead for your favorite pet? Looking to give your next dinner party some added class? Keen to make yourself a beautiful blouse that will have your friends demanding one of their own? Her book is full of fun, accessible DIYs to help you decorate, entertain, and celebrate in style, no matter your skill level or the size of your living space.
Meet the Author Radio
“I’m Sorry Duncan, Actually I Have No Regrets”
“It’s not a playlist of sorts. It’s really just a selection of albums I’ve marked as favs which play randomly.It’s clunky and doesn’t flow well but I like it.” – Gemma
We had one last task for Gemma to complete, rounding up a selection of her favourite Hunting for George goodies for the home. Here are her top picks.