Founding Directors Hayley Page and Katherine Stewart founded the Melbourne based Architecture and Interior Design practice Page Stewart in early 2020 after years and years working at leading design firms. They focus on creating beautiful spaces, no matter how large or small across the residential, commercial and education sectors. They are passionate about what they create, and they aim to ensure that projects are something that both them and their clients can be proud of. We took twelve with Kath and here’s what she has to say…
George Takes Twelve
1. Pleasantries first… Tell us about who you are and what you do?
I am Katherine Stewart and founding Co-Director of Page Stewart. I am a registered architect and love designing different spaces for our clients. My favourite part of the job is getting out on site and watching our visions come to life.
2. When I was growing up I wanted to be….
A swimming teacher according to my grade 2 school poster. Unsure what happened there as swimming definitely isn’t my forte!
3. What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Just do it – start your own business and take on a bit of risk. You will never look back!
4. What’s been your favourite project so far?
That’s a tough one. We are doing a beautiful house on a clifftop in Gippsland that has stunning views. Another favourite is a large renovation in Hampton where we are using a lot of off-form concrete – bliss!
5. What’s the most treasured belonging/item in your own home?
My two girls (and I’d better say my husband too!)
6. What’s the most impressive party trick you can muster?
I can make a cloverleaf with my tongue – does that count?!
7. Are there any architectural trends you are excited about?
I do love an arch. And the colour pink…
8. What advice would you give to someone wanting to become an architect?
Uni is very tough but it will end one day. Just try to get through it and get as much hands on experience (including site visits) as possible in those first few years.
9. What’s one thing people may not know about you?
I am a twin.
10. You’ve got a week off, where are you going?
Austinmer, NSW or the Greek Islands (hopefully again soon post Covid)
11. What is your favourite way to get the creative juices flowing?
Think in the shower or go for a long run.
12. Favourite architectural style from a bygone era?
Meet the Architect Radio
“PS – Page Stewart – Plays Songs”
“I love electro, ballads and warm and fuzzy songs.” – Kath
Where to find her
Photography by Martina Gemmola